Sunday, May 17, 2015

ClO2 Study - P. larvae Spores on Metal

From metal on 5-13-15.

I am able to count the CFU on the MYPGP from the spores on the metal coupons that were exposed to ClO2 gas for three hours. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to count any colonies from the treatment groups (even from the 10^-0 dilution!) as no colonies grew on the plates.

Spore stock #11 was added to the coupons, which means there was about 1.8x10^5 CFU on the coupon when it was exposed to the ClO2 gas. I was able to count CFU from the spores on metal that were exposed to ClO2 gas, unfortunately it was 2.2x10^4 CFU/mL, which means there was only about a 12% rate of recovery of the spore from the coupons! This was a similar problem that I had with the spores on wood, the spore recovery is very poor. I will need to adjust my re-suspension protocol for these two surfaces (pine chips and metal coupons). Perhaps increasing the time the surfaces are soaked in the 1 mL H2O would help with re-suspension.

Below is an image of one of the MYPGP dilution plates. There were only two colonies on the plate from the 10^-0 dilution. However, duplicate plates did not have any colony growth on them.
Spores on metal exposed to 50 mg weight of ClO2 reagent for 3 hours 
I will repeat this experiment in the future and adjust the re-suspension procedure.

//EWW

No comments:

Post a Comment